McObject, Green Hills Software Alliance Drives Embedded Systems Innovation
December 3, 2013 — McObject®, an innovator in embedded databases, and Green Hills Software, the largest independent vendor of safety- and security-certified embedded software solutions, announced the availability of McObject’s latest release of its tiny-footprint eXtremeDB® In-Memory Database System (IMDS) product family with the most current release of Green Hills Software’s INTEGRITY® real-time operating system (RTOS).
“For more than a decade, our customers have relied on the performance and features of McObject’s eXtremeDB product family and its out-of-the-box integration with our INTEGRITY RTOS to help them build the most reliable, highest performance products in the shortest amount of time,” said Dan Mender, Green Hills Software vice president of business development. “Green Hills Software is pleased to see the value of this combined offering continue to be available by having the latest release of McObject’s eXtremeDB product family integrated with our INTEGRITY RTOS.”
McObject built eXtremeDB from scratch to meet the demanding performance and reliability requirements, and match the resource constraints, of embedded systems. The Green Hills INTEGRITY RTOS also delivers against these characteristics with its own hard real-time deterministic performance and proven freedom from interference, driven by architecture features and policies that include guaranteed, deterministic, real-time interrupt response and system resource guarantees. As a result of these complementary strengths, the joint eXtremeDB – INTEGRITY solution serves as the proven software foundation used and deployed by many industry leaders in aerospace, defense, automotive, industrial and other embedded markets.
Joint McObject – Green Hills Software customers have signaled their continued confidence in this RTOS and database system combination, benefiting from key eXtremeDB product strengths, including a streamlined IMDS architecture, with optional persistent storage; a fast and type-safe native C/C++ application programming interface (API); transactions that support the ACID (atomic, consistent, isolated and durable) properties; and an ultra-short execution path that is reflected in a code footprint of approximately 150K.
The latest updates to eXtremeDB expand on its high availability and real-time performance. Enhancements include:
• Faster transaction logging via improved buffering and lightweight locking mechanisms
• Improvements to eXtremeDB High Availability edition, including more control by applications over failover, and a streamlined API with simplified parameters and other improvements to ease development
• Proven support for non-volatile memory, including the new generation of non-volatile DIMMs (NVDIMMs)
• Better indexes. Hash indexes are now dynamic and grow as data is added, for greater speed and scalability. The R-tree index – used in mapping/geospatial applications – is faster and includes a new search type to find entries within a given radius of a point, such as the nearest gas station
• “Mostly read” transactions that enable eXtremeDB to accelerate applications that write to the database only occasionally (this has been used in IP routers that access configuration data frequently but rarely modify it)
• An enhanced eXtremeDB Cluster edition, including a local tables option that exempts specified eXtremeDB tables from cluster-wide replication, to accelerate processing at the local node; and dynamic clustering to simplify nodes joining and leaving clusters
• An improved Java Native Interface (JNI) including confirmed interoperability with the JamaicaVM hard real-time Java run-time environment, and Java class generators that process native database definition language (DDL) files (database schemas) and output code defining the equivalent .java classes
“Green Hills Software’s INTEGRITY RTOS and MULTI IDE are widely used by many key eXtremeDB customers across market segments. As longtime partners, McObject and Green Hills deliver a strong, responsive real-time software foundation for many safety-critical – performance-critical product designs. We are pleased to announce compatibility between the most up-to-date eXtremeDB and INTEGRITY releases, to ensure the highest level of reliability, predictability and performance for our customers,” said McObject CEO Steve Graves.
About Green Hills Software
Founded in 1982, Green Hills Software is the largest independent vendor of embedded development solutions. In 2008, the Green Hills INTEGRITY-178B RTOS was the first and only operating system to be certified by NIAP (National Information Assurance Partnership comprised of NSA & NIST) to EAL 6+, High Robustness, the highest level of security ever achieved for any software product. Our open architecture integrated development solutions address deeply embedded, absolute security and high-reliability applications for the military/avionics, medical, industrial, automotive, networking, consumer and other markets that demand industry-certified solutions. Green Hills Software is headquartered in Santa Barbara, CA, with European headquarters in the United Kingdom. Visit Green Hills Software at www.ghs.com.
Founded by embedded database and real-time systems experts, McObject offers proven data management technology that makes applications and devices smarter, more reliable and more cost-effective to develop and maintain. McObject counts among its customers industry leaders such as BAE Systems, Siemens, Philips, EADS, JVC, Pentair, F5 Networks, CA, Motorola and Boeing. McObject, based in Federal Way, WA, is committed to providing innovative technology and first-rate services to customers and partners. The company can be reached at +1-425-888-8505, or visit www.mcobject.com.
McObject and eXtremeDB are registered trademarks of McObject LLC. All other company or product names mentioned herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.