Diverse index types increase application speed when working with complex data structures.
eXtremeDB offers diverse index types to optimize performance
eXtremeDB’s multiple database indexes enable the developer to significantly increase application speed when working with complex data structures. Make important design trade-offs involving search performance, memory consumption, and update performance.
Multiple embedded database indexes
B-Trees indexes are offered universally in embedded database systems, and are highly efficient for basic database search operations like exact match, prefix and range searches.
But B-Trees indexes are not ideal for certain data and access patterns. For purposes as varied as IP routing, geospatial searching and soundex algorithm development, less common indexes can be much more efficient.
For this reason, the eXtremeDB database offers multiple indexes, including the following:
- B-Trees for common sorting and searches, insertions, and deletions.
- R-Trees for geospatial indexing (common in GPS/navigation systems)
- Hash tables for quickly locating a single unique index entry
- Patricia trie index which speeds searches in networking and telephony applications
- Trigram indexes are ideal for text searches when the exact spelling of the target object is not precisely known. It finds objects which match the maximum number of three-character strings in the entered search terms, i.e., near matches.
- Custom indexes or b-trees that allow the application to define the collating sequence of entries; this is useful in implementing soundex algorithm searches, for example
- KD-Trees or k-dimensional trees, for spatial and pattern-matching tasks and in applications where query predicates contain various combinations of object fields (for example, to construct Query-By-Example, or QBE features)
Watch the Webinar: Using Data Indexes to Boost Performance and Minimize Footprint in Embedded Software
Watch a brief segment from the Webinar, Using Data Indexes to Boost Performance and Minimize Footprint in Embedded Software about specific indexes.
Webinars for Professional Developers
Watch to on-demand Webinars, hosted by experts, about proven database management system practices. Watch Embedded Databases: Building In Always On High Availability and others.
Review our list of Webinars
Articles for Professional Developers
“Data Indexes Boost Embedded Software’s Performance and Efficiency” Military Embedded Systems
Read a list of articles
White Papers for Professional Developers
We have been testing, improving on, and retesting our software from the beginning in 2001 in order to provide our clients with the best possible data management solutions. Read “Database Persistence, Without The Performance Penalty” and more.
Review our research
See a list of eXtremeDB features, including mutiple database indexes, that maximize database managmement system reliability.