With eXtremeDB High Availability, Binary Schema Evolution (BSE) is used to implement “in-place” upgrades that involve changes to the database structure in running systems, without interrupting the availability of the system.
The high level concept is as follows:
- Install version N+1 of the system as a replica
- Connect the replica to the running master
- Master synchronizes the N+1 replica database, accommodating database changes along the way
- Upon completion of the synchronization:
A. N+1 replica switches to master
B. Version N former master shuts down
BSE can accommodate:
- The presence of new and dropped classes
- New fields and dropped fields
- New indexes and dropped indexes
- Changes to indexes
- Changes to field types that don’t lose precision
eXtremeDB High Availability is a fault-tolerant version of eXtremeDB® designed to answer the challenge, “How can a database survive the failure of the software or hardware environment in which it operates?” Designed to power systems that cannot afford to fail, eXtremeDB-HA delivers the highest degree of reliability, along with its unsurpassed performance and exceptionally small footprint. Learn more.
Evaluate free trial software
Available for all major platforms in 32- and 64-bit packages. All packages include eXtremeDB’s in-memory database system and persistent database system with native APIs for C, C++, C#, Java and Python, and optional SQL/JDBC/ODBC (eXtremeSQL).
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.