When the rollout is complete, eXtremeDBwill reside in dozens of Patton’s networking devices, including the IPLink line of T1, broadband and DSL routers as well as the company’s award-winning SmartNode session border controller technology for VoIP. This new role in Patton’s communications gear adds to a stack of recent eXtremeDB design wins in the telecom/Netcom sector, ranging from its deployment in new LTE/WiMAX broadband networking base stations, to use of the 64-bit eXtremeDB edition in massively scalable call and message routing used by telecom carriers.
Earlier versions of Trinity used an open source CORBA software component to manage configuration data. Patton’s OS upgrade plan called for replacing this mechanism with an off-the-shelf embedded database system, to gain scalability and improve performance, while minimizing demands for memory, storage and CPU resources.
“We reviewed several off-the-shelf embedded database solutions, and found eXtremeDB to most closely fit with what we wanted to do. eXtremeDB delivered scalability and low overhead, and a key deciding factor between the systems we reviewed was the event notifications feature that eXtremeDB provides. It was critical for us to have a change from one process trigger an event in another process,” said Ken Kassing, Patton Electronics’ chief software engineer.
“Two other important eXtremeDB strengths were available database system source code, and the fact that we found McObject’s support staff to be very responsive,” Kassing said.
“Since McObject’s inception, we’ve built a larger customer base in telecom and networking than in any other field,” McObject Co-Founder and CEO Steve Graves said. “We developed eXtremeDB from scratch to satisfy this sector’s stringent demands, and feedback from customers in telecom and networking has helped us to continuously improve its performance, reliability and developer flexibility. We’re gratified that Patton Electronics finds the eXtremeDB In-Memory Database System to be a good fit, and look forward to working with them.”
In the eXtremeDB product family, developers of telecom and networking embedded software obtain the following features:
- A core in-memory database system (IMDS) architecture that delivers database responsiveness measured in microseconds
- Small footprint – code size of 150K or less
- Highly scalable via 64-bit support and a multi-version concurrency control (MVCC) transaction manager
- Flexible on-disk and hybrid storage capability (eXtremeDB Fusion)
- Distributed database capability and fault-tolerance (eXtremeDB Cluster and eXtremeDB High Availability)
- Advanced features including event notifications, remote procedure calls, RC4 encryption, cache prioritization, custom collations and more
- Transaction logging & ACID (Atomic, Consistent, Isolated and Durable) transactions
- Multiple database indexes including R-tree for location-based queries and Patricia trie for phone routing and IP filtering
- Highly portable, with support for the widest range of embedded and server platforms and available source code
Patton Electronics Company is a multi-national organization that designs, develops, and manufactures electronic communications equipment for network access, connectivity, voice-over-IP, triple play and video surveillance. Deployed throughout the world in carrier, enterprise, and industrial networks, most Patton products are manufactured in the USA. Patton is ISO 9001:2008 certified and markets a catalog of over 1000 products. Incorporated in January 1984, Patton Electronics has been doing business for over 26 years. The company can be reached at +1 301 975 1000. For more information see www.patton.com.
Founded by embedded database and real-time systems experts, McObject offers proven data management technology that makes applications and devices smarter, more reliable and more cost-effective to develop and maintain. McObject counts among its customers industry leaders such BAE Systems, Siemens, Phillips, EADS, JVC, Tyco Thermal Controls, F5 Networks, CA, Motorola and Boeing. McObject, based in Issaquah, WA, is committed to providing innovative technology and first-rate services to customers and partners. The company can be reached at +1-425-888-8505, or visit www.mcobject.com.
McObject and eXtremeDB are registered trademarks of McObject LLC. All other company or product names mentioned herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.